My Netgear Extender Failed to Obtain IP Address. How to Fix!

My Netgear Extender Failed to Obtain IP Address. How to Fix!

All the devices present in the networking world communicate through IP addresses. Even your WiFi range extenders and routers. Is your Netgear extender unable to get an IP from the router? That can stop you from using the internet on devices connected to the Netgear extender. This is to inform you that for optimal functioning of the range extender, it is important for it to receive an IP from the router. But, why your Netgear extender failed to obtain IP address and what are its possible solutions, we will try to address in this post.

[Reasons] Netgear Extender Failed to Obtain IP Address

If the extender is unable to fetch an IP from the router, then there might be a boot up problem. Perhaps, your extender hasn’t powered up properly. Know that when the extender does not power up, it is most likely to fall victim to such issues. Therefore, before all else, try to get rid of this annoying IP-related problem with your Netgear range extender by restarting it.

To do that, you must unplug your Netgear range extender from its respective power outlet and then wait for a few minutes. After that, switch it on and see if your Netgear extender receives an IP address or not. If not, then you ought to walk through some other hacks that we’ve highlighted further.

[Solutions] Netgear Extender Couldn’t Obtain IP Address

1. Check the Power Supply

If the rebooting process fails to help you out, there are chances that the power supply to the extender is not sufficient. You cannot expect a device to obtain an IP address if it is not receiving a stable power supply from the socket. Thus, you need to pay some attention to the power socket into which you have plugged your extender. If it is working fine, then you can skip this part and move to the next technique. Otherwise, you are supposed to plug your range extender into another wall outlet. But, this time avoid making the mistake of connecting it to a damaged one.

2. Check the Extender-Router Connection

The Netgear extender failed to obtain IP address issue might also show up if it is not connected to the router properly. So, now you know what to do. Just in case, you are still confused, you should have a look at the Ethernet cable connecting your Netgear extender and router. Start by checking whether the connection is finger-tight or not. If not, then you should make it finger-tight. What happened? Does the cable have cuts? If yes, then do not hesitate to get it replaced with a new one. Ensure that you buy one that is capable of transferring data at higher rates. One more thing you need to keep in mind is that the Ethernet cable is connected to the correct ports of your WiFi devices.

3. Assign Static IP to the Extender

Assigning a static IP address to the Netgear extender might also work in addressing the problem you are facing. You just have to load a web browser on a computer connected to Netgear_ext and visit Reach the Netgear extender setup wizard after filling in the login credentials and select the IP Address Setup option. After that, you only have to choose the option that says Use Static IP address and input the IP address manually into the given spaces.

4. Reduce the Extender-Router Gap

The gap separating the Netgear extender and the main router matters a lot. Keep in mind that when two networking devices are placed in two distant corners of the house, they are most likely to lack a sound communication. In the effect of that, the extender might be failing to receive an IP address. Therefore, if the devices are placed far away, you should bring them a little closer. But, be aware of the fact that if the devices are placed too close, then also the Netgear extender failed to obtain IP address situation might occur. So, keep the distance optimal.

Still Facing Problem?

The hacks mentioned in the above section have 90% chances of pulling you out of the mess you are currently in. But, let us consider the rest 10% and assume that the problem has still not resolved. In that scenario, you are supposed to get the firmware of your range extender upgraded. Know that when the device flaunts an outdated version of the firmware, the emergence of such issues become inevitable. During the firmware upgrade, be very sure that you are not uploading a firmware file that belongs to the extender model other than you own.

To Sum Up

Now, you know why your Netgear extender failed to obtain IP address and what you can do to fix it. Let’s have a quick recap of what you’ve understood so far. You came to know that incomplete boot up process can result in the issue, so you restarted the extender. Eventually, you tried your hands on fixing the power-related issues, assigning static IP to the extender, and maintaining the extender-router connection. Now, all we have is a hope that after taking the aid of these tips, you will be able to get the problem resolved.

Tags: , ,
Disclaimer: The is a website providing technical resolution and information on various issues and providing online support services for networking gadgets. Use of any images, logo, brand or product names on our site is just for informational and referential purpose. Technical help & services are provided on customer request.